Defence Civilians Employees Suppliers Directorates My Account
Home >> About Us >> Sections >> TA Section

TA Section

Officer In-charge:      Shri S M Jha, Senior Accounts Officer
Intercom No.:             125                 Email id: tada[dot]pcdand[at]nic[dot]in

This Section deals with the following:


  1. Payment of advances for temporary duty or permanent transfer or Leave Travel Concession within 20 minutes of receipt of the claim under Project ‘Tatkal’.
  2. Timely and correct payment of entitled Traveling Allowances to Defence civilian employees paid out of Defence Services Estimates.
  3. Processing and payment of LTC claims.
  4. Processing of air passage and air freight claims.
  5. Audit and payment of TA claims of Defence civilians on retirement.
  6. Penal Interest charged on unused amount of advance, at the rate of 2% more than the Interest paid on GPF, if the amount is not refunded within stipulated period.
  7. If any Individual(s) transferred to another audit officer, amount of Advances of TA/LTC, if any, drawn by Individuals is noted in Last Pay Certificate for further adjustment by the audit officer where the Individual(s) transferred.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Q. What is the minimum service for availing LTC?

Ans. Government servant who have completed one year of continuous service on the date of journey can avail this concession.

Q. Whether LTC can be availed during week-end or holidays alone?

. No, the concession can be availed during regular/casual/special casual leave or vacation.

Q. When both husband and wife are government servants, can they declare separate home town independently?

. Yes, both husband and wife can declare separate home town independently.

Q. Whether a Government employee can travel by longer route?

. Yes, however his/her journey will be restricted to shortest direct route.

Q. Whether LTC can be availed during study leave?

. Yes, however reimbursement of fare should be restricted to the fare admissible for travel between his headquarters station to any place in India/home town or actual expenditure, whichever is less.

Q. Whether LTC can be availed under suspension?

. No, Government servant under suspension cannot avail of LTC as he/she cannot get any leave including casual leave during the period of suspension; however his family is entitled to LTC.

Q. What is the entitlement of fresh recruits?

. Fresh recruits of Central government may be allowed to travel to their home town with their families on three occasions in a block of four years and to any place in India on the fourth occasion. This facility shall be available to the Government officers only for the first two blocks of four years applicable after joining the Government for the first time. The blocks of 4 years shall apply with reference to the initial date of joining the Government even though the employee changes the job within Government subsequently. The existing blocks will remain the same but the entitlements of the new recruit will be different in the first eight years of service.

Q. Whether a Government servant appointed before 23-09-2008 but not completed first eight years of service is eligible for four LTC as mentioned in VI CPC?

. The Government servant who have not completed 8 years of service as on 01-09-2008 are entitled for this concession as per their entitlement. There is no change in block years.

Q. Home town of an employee is connected by train but is not directly connected by Rajdhani/Shatabdi Express trains. In such a case, can the employee be entitled to travel partly by Rajdhani/Shatabdi Express trains and partly by other trains?

. Yes. If the journey is actually performed by Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains up to an en route railway station by direct shortest route and thereafter the journey is completed in a train other than Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains, fare for both the types of trains by the entitled class would be admissible for the respective portion of journey.

Q. If the originating and terminating points fall on the routes of Rajdhani/shatabdi express trains but these trains do not halt at these stations, can an employee travel by Rajdhani/Shatabdi Express?

. The employee can travel by Rajdhani/Shatabdi Express up to the nearest en route station which should not be beyond the destination i.e., Home town or the declare place of visit.

Q. If a  Government employee/his family member is entitled to concessional train fare such as Senior Citizen, student concession, Children, etc., whether in case of air travel, the reimbursement would be restricted to such concessional fare by train in entitled class?

. If full air fare has been charged by the airlines and paid by the Government servant, the reimbursement would be restricted to the full train fare in entitled class including Rajdhani/shatabdi.

Q. If a Government servant drawing grade pay Rs. 10,000 and above can claim for reimbursement of Air travel by executive class on LTC?

. No, reimbursement of the expenses on air travel while availing of LTC will be restricted to the cost of travel by the economy class, irrespective of entitlement.

Q. Whether DA is admissible on Sunday, holiday, casual leave and RH to Government Servant on temporary duty at outstation?



  1. Government servant can avail CL or RH while on tour but she/he is not entitled to draw DA.
  2. DA is not admissible for any day whether Sunday or holiday unless the officer is actually and not merely constructively in camp.

Q. How mileage allowance is admissible when journey on tour is performed by longer route by rail partly by lower class and partly by the entitled class?

. In such case claim shall be regulated on proportionate basis, by calculating mileage allowance for different modes/ classes by the shortest route in the ration of distance covered by such modes/ classes by the longer actually used route.

Q. Is TATKAL SEVA charges reimbursable?

. Yes TATKAL SEVA charges may be allowed only for railway journeys undertaken for official purposes in extremely emergent circumstances which may be duly certified by the Joint. Secretary.

Q. Whether DA to Government servant on tour returning to Hqrs daily is admissible?

. Yes, a Government servant who returns to his Hqrs while on tour at outstation due to non availability of proper accommodation etc to suite his convenience, may draw DA at the rate applicable at temporary duty station, but on intervening Sundays and holidays no DA will be admissible.

Q. Is annual maintenance charges of credit card is reimbursable?

. The cost of maintaining the credit card by the individual officer is reimbursable with the approval of FA if such card is utilised for booking the air tickets in advance on discounted fare for providing larger savings to the Govt.

Q. Whether hotel/ guest house should be registered/ recognised?

. For any hotel the government servant must have stayed in establishment registered/ licensed as a hotel by proper authority.

Q. Whether cash receipt/ cash memo will be mandatory in support of the claims?

. Yes actual expenditure incurred within the prescribed limit will be reimbursed as per normal procedure.